AnsweredAssumed Answered

Using the 8080 display interface on i.MX RT1020

Question asked by Alex Münnich on May 5, 2019
Latest reply on May 20, 2019 by Jack King

Hello,

I'm currently trying to figure out how to add a display (driven by the 8080 8/16-bit parallel interface) to the i.MX RT1020. As far as I understood, there are essentially three ways to connect it to the processor:

1. SEMC in DBI-B mode
  2. FlexIO with 8080 display interface driver (seems not to be included in the SDK)
  3. Bit-banging the protocol

Going through the list of options, I prefer 1) and 2) since 3) would consume too many cycles.

Since an external SDRAM chip at 166MHz, DTR will be connected to SEMC, the module itself must run at 166MHz. However, comparing the control registers which offer up to 16 cycles for each listed action with the ILI9341's datasheet on page 228, operations over 96ns require more cycles. Although memory reads are likely to be rare, full command support would be better. Also, how does addressing on the 8080 interface work? I wonder since data should be written in huge bursts but section 24.4.1.33 shows 'column address bit width' and 'burst length'. What do they control?

In the case it won't work, I need to use FlexIO. Does FlexIO support multiple protocols at the same time or are the big number of pins meant to be used for parallel interfaces?

Thanks in advance,

Alex

Outcomes